Week 4 – Fantasy Football Waiver Wire Pickups

NFL: Baltimore Ravens at Cleveland Browns

If you thought the injuries would stop in Week 3, think again!! With so many injuries, virtually every fantasy squad will be in need of the waiver wire this week. See our picks below to help guide that process. Keep in mind, if you’re not in the position to grab a top waiver wire pick this week, keep your waiver priority! With the large amount of Bye weeks in Week 4 (Arizona, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Seattle, St. Louis) it’s likely there will be talent dropped in order to fill teams’ roster voids.

Kirk Cousins – Cousins is an obvious add right now in all formats if he’s still available in your leagues. Cousins threw 48 balls for 427 3 TDs and INT in Sundays loss to Philly. Cousins has looked stellar in Gruden’s Pass Happy Offense that churned out Andy Dalton’s Top 5 Fantasy QB production last season. It looks like RG3 will have a pretty hard time getting this job back!

Lorenzo Taliaferro – A downhill runner with Brute Force, how can you not like the rookie runner? In his “first career” game, the Legion Report Sleeper rushed the ball 18 times for 91 yards while scoring a big TD with an average YPC of 5.06. It’s still very likely Bernard Pierce will remain the starter next week and moving forward, but we’re sure to note that he will be a very short leash. With Pierce’s injury colorful injury history Taliaferro is a must add in all formats. Keep in mind the Ravens will face a very tough and angry Carolina Run Defense in Week 4, we’re not recommending starting the rookie, yet…

*P.S. – He should probably work on a Juke Move.

Jordan Matthews – Matthews saw 9 Targets in Philly’s Week 3 matchup where he caught 8 balls for 59 yards and 2 TD’s. Matthews caught both TD’s while inside the Redzone, which not only shows that Nick Foles trusts him, but that he also understands the playbook. Moving forward, Matthews has the skill set to become a Fantasy WR3 with a high ceiling in this high scoring Philly Offense. Another great thing going for Matthews is that the average total score of Eagles games this season is a 60 total points per game!!

Alfred Blue – Arian Foster missed Week 3’s game due to a setback in his hamstring recovery. This hamstring that sidelined him is the same hamstring that kept him out of the preseason for the first two weeks in July. “As soon as I feel 100 percent, I’ll be out there,” he said. “It’s my hamstring’s call.” Reoccurring injuries, let a lone hamstring injuries, a always a major concern for fantasy owners. Alfred Blue shapes up to be a must-add for all owners! Blue totaled 88 yards on Sunday against the Giants.

Allen Robinson – Robinson, the 2nd round pick out of Penn State, played 70% of snaps on Sunday en route to 7 catches for 79 yards on 10 targets. With Marquis Lee already facing injury concerns and Cecil Shorts’ lingering injury concerns, there’s plenty of room to suggest Robinson possesses the skill set to emerge as an “up-an-comer” in the NFL. As Robinson got the start as the WR2 (opposite of Cecil Shorts) and Blake Bortles settled in at QB, the Jaguars are a team that will air it out in “Comeback Mode” during 2nd half of games; Allen Robinson’s physical/skillful stature will become a major beneficiary from this.

Niles Paul – With the absence of Jordan Reed, Niles Paul has consistently emerged in consecutive weeks. In Week 1, Paul grabbed 4 Receptions for 86 Yards. In Week 2, he added 8 Receptions on 11 Targets, 99 Yards and a TD. In Week 3, 6 catches for 68 yards on 11 Targets.  Paul, a former wide receiver is only 6’1”, but he possesses the speed that many lack to cover at Tight End. Paul is our favorite TE addition for this week and should yield results going forward while Jordan Reed sits out.

Donald Brown – Danny Woodhead exited early in Week 3 with a fractured fibula and ankle, which will require season ending surgery. With Ryan Mathews out 3 to 4 more weeks, the Chargers will lean heavily on Donald Brown as the workhorse back. Brown faces vs JAX, vs NYJ and @OAK the next 3 weeks. By the way, the average total score of during Jaguars games this season is a 54 total points per game!!

Isaiah Crowell – Sunday was the day of the rookie running back in the Browns/Ravens game. When Crowell touched the ball, he was literally a shot out of a cannon. With 11 carries, Crowell rushed for 55 yards and a TD in what was a legitimate time share with West in Cleveland. I won’t be surprised if I see Crowell lead the browns in rushing attempts this season.

Brian Quick – Quick has continued solid production and is the Rams Number 1 WR, a rarity to find a teams WR1 on the waiver wire.  Through 3 games this season, Quick has totaled 23 catches for 235 yards and a TD on 22 Targets. On the season, Quick has more receiving yards than A.J. Green, Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson. After the Rams Week 4 Bye they travel to Philly where the total score has averaged 60 points per game through 3 weeks!

San Diego Chargers Defense – The Chargers Defense have shown signs of improvements this year and play very well at home! On the season, the Chargers have totaled 7 sacks through 3 games. Defenses are averaging 16 Fantasy Points against the Jags so far on the season which proves the Chargers are worth a start in Week 4! In Week 5, the Chargers play the NYJ’s at home and then travel to OAK in Week 6.

Detroit Lions Defense – The Lions Defense has been an absolute force this season. In 3 games, the Lions Defense has held opposing QBs (Eli Manning, Cam Newton and Aaron Rodgers) to an average of 11.3 Points Per Game. The Lions travel to New York to face the Jets next week, play home against a struggling EJ Manuel and the Buffalo Bills in Week 5 and face a disastrous Minnesota Vikings Offense in Week 6!

Jordan and Michael Tozzi were 2013's Most Accurate Fantasy Football Experts in the nation. Owners of LegionReport.com

83 Comments

1. ohjenny3@hotmail.com'

Chelsea C

September 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Trying to make some room for Taliaferro and another defense, Panthers were kind of a let down this past week! Have Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Rainey and Kelce that I’m on the fence about dropping. Also would you pick up the Lions or the Bears?

September 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM

The Panthers D will be fine. It’s hard to say without seeing your entire lineup, but You can’t hold AP and Gordon the entire season. I would try trading one of the two for something you need. You won’t make the playoffs while rostering these two during Bye Weeks. One must go!! If San Diego’s Defense isn’t out there, pick up the Lions.

2. cc.gaskell@gmail.com'

Corky Gaskell

September 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Ten team 1 point PPR. My RB bench is Gerhart, Hyde, T West. Would you drop any of those 3 for Taliaferro ? My bench WR are T Smith, J Gordon. Drop either of those for Quick ?

September 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM

The thing with Torrey Smith is that Joe Flacco sucks. Smith could have easily caught for 70 yards and 2 TD’s on Sunday but Flacco missed him, or was late, on every single pass! I’d hang onto Smith – he’s not this bad! I like Taliaferro, but it’s tough dropping one of those guys.

3. andreas.vonkanel@gmail.com'

A. Trump

September 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Would you drop either Rams or 49er Defense and pick up Chargers instead?

September 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I’d drop the Rams. They’re on a bye this week then come back to play @PHI, SF and then SEA. Injuries haven’t helped this defense this year!

• andreas.vonkanel@gmail.com'

A. Trump

September 24, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Thanks for the advice!
        Unfortunately someone else picked up the Chargers. Waiver wire is looking bleak now: Raiders, Jets, Vikings.
        Would you: (a) pick up any of those three, (b) take the risk and go with the 49ers, or (c) not start a D at all?

September 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Yuck, I’d go with OAK out of those options.

• andreas.vonkanel@gmail.com'

A. Trump

September 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Cheers!

4. jtennant59@gmail.com'

JR

September 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Would you drop Kendall Wright or Cecil Shorts for Jordan Matthews and/or Brian Quick?

Thanks!

5. RS@telus.com'

RS

September 23, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Trade Gronk and Ellington for his Lacy and Olson? My guys are injury prone but I love Gronk’s upside.

September 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It’s a fair deal. When Gronk is healthy he’s a difference maker in fantasy lineups though… It depends how you look at RB.

6. JerryL@encana.org'

Jerry

September 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Rank these WR ROS: Randle, Matthews, Robinson, Shorts, Quick?

September 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Shorts (if healthy), Quick, Robinson, Randle, Matthews. They’re all streaky flip of the coin type options.

7. estermer2012@fau.edu'

Evan

September 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Just got an offer for my RWilson and Gronk for his Newton and Lacy. I already have forte and McCoy, so I’d love 3 monster potential RBs. I have Kelce and Donnell on my bench right now. Thoughts?

September 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I love the RBs, not to crazy about your TE situation. Anyone on the wire you’d be able to grab?

• estermer2012@fau.edu'

Evan

September 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Top names are heath, d.allen, g. Graham, clay, Daniels.

• estermer2012@fau.edu'

Evan

September 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Oh, and Lad Green

September 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM

This trade makes you very vulnerable at the TE position. I’d pull the trigger though. Those are 3 Top 5 RBs. You couldn’t hand select better players. Just be aware, if Kelce doesn’t pan out (he should) then you could be in trouble.

• estermer2012@fau.edu'

Evan

September 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

You guys are awesome. I recommend all my friends who I’m not in leagues with to this site. Thanks again!

8. mike@mike.com'

Mike

September 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Should I trade Josh Gordon and Torrey Smith for Kelvin Benjamin?

September 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I’m not crazy about it. If your in dire need of a WR, I suppose. Smith was wide open plenty of times on Sunday, Flacco just missed him! You should be able to get more for Gordon.

9. Brale46571@aol.com'

Brenda

September 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Std Would u drop K Wright or J Hunter for Jordan Matthews, A Robinson or L Taliaferro? Thanks

September 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

These guys all have high upside. It’s a guessing game to who will “blow up” first. My guess is Hunter, Robinson, Taliaferro (if Pierce is back) and Matthews in that order.

10. brale46571@aol.com'

Brenda

September 24, 2014 at 2:24 AM

What QB should I pick up for Matt Ryan’s bye week (9)? and when should I pick them up? Thanks

September 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM

What are your options?

• Brale46571@aol.com'

Brenda

September 25, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Eli, Bridgewater, Locker, Manuel, Carr, Flacco, Fitzpatrick, Bortles, Glennon, Palmer, Hoyer and G Smith.

September 25, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Yuck – don’t like any. Probably Fitzpatrick.

September 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

If it’s a keeper league, yes. If it’s re-draft, hang onto Torrey Smith, at least. Gerhart will get better eventually.

11. awoodz@yahoo.com'

JT

September 24, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Hi,

I play in a standard scoring league and need a Def. Miami, Detroit, Pitt, and Baltimore are available. I have Cincy as my starting Def. I like Detroit, but was thinking that Miami might have a better day against the Raiders.

September 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM

The Dolphins are still facing some injury concerns. I’d go Detroit without a doubt! This defense is on a roll!

12. awoodz@yahoo.com'

Jason

September 24, 2014 at 6:47 AM

I have a TE question. I have Jordan Cameron and Travis Kelce on my team. Niles Paul, Dwayne Allen, and Delanie Walker are available. Should I drop Travis Kelce for any of these players? Kelce seems like his time is coming.

September 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM

It does seem like his time is coming. His snap count is slowly and painfully increasing.. I like the former WR, Nile Paul while Reed is out.

13. tonydiazbb25@yahoo.com'

Tony

September 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Hey Guys, Bye weeks suck!! Good thing I picked up DBrown last week just to see him be the starter on there best matchup of the year.
    Start/Sit Question: Ryan or Rivers this week?
    Also I have Ertz, I don’t think hes getting enough targets in that offense, do you think hell start to get more production? or hit the wire: Paul/Kelce/Allen/Daniels…any upside in Quarless?

September 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Your safe with either QB this week. It’s really hard to bench Matt Ryan coming off a huge game, but Rivers should offer equal stats against a Jags defense that is allowing an average total score of 54 points per game!

You’re right, Ertz isn’t getting enough Targets in that offense. There are only so many to go around. I would pick up Niles Paul until Kelce has his coming out party. Don’t drop Ertz.

• tonydiazbb25@yahoo.com'

ManicTDs

September 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Walker was just dropped. should I grab him for Ertz? or still hold on to him?

14. Greg.Giaquinto@gmail.com'

Greg

September 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I just wanted to thank you all for all your efforts. This is the first year that I have followed your player rankings and advice and I am off to a 3-0 start. I have a quick question if you all have time….
    There are 3 players that I am not sure if I should keep stashed away or use this time to pick up some other players to solidify my team.

Those players in question are: T. West, J. Forsett, R. Randle.

Players available on the wire are: John Brown, Eddie Royal, L. Taliaferro, Isaiah Crowell, M. Sanu, Alfred Blue, Stevie Johnson, and Allen Robinson.

Thank you!

September 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Thanks a lot, Greg! We appreciate that!

Terrance West: With Ben Tate due back after the Bye Week and The Crow looking like a great option, I would be okay of letting him go. I dropped him for Donald Brown in one of my leagues. West is the better player of what you own.
      J. Forsett: With our sleeper, Taliaferro, finally making noise it’s time you can drop Forsett.
      R. Randle: I would rather own a guy with huge upside like Allen Robinson. Randle will have his games, but he’ll also be a headache to own/roster.

Taliaferro has a tough matchup this week against CAR, so don’t look for him to make too much noise until after his Bye Week. Going forward, I think he offers very high upside under Gary Kubiak. Alfred Blue is behind the most injury prone RB in the NFL.

15. jenn.nolasco@gmail.com'

Jennifer

September 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Matt Ryan
    Alfred Morris
    Donald Brown
    Julian Edelman
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Niles Paul
    Lorenzo Taliaferro?
    Lions D/ST D/ST
    Matt Bryant

Am I okay starting Taliaferro this week? My bench isn’t looking too hot with 5 out of 7 players (the other two being Luck and the Panthers defense) with a Bye. I’m able to pick up Eddie Royal in place of Taliaferro..bad move?

September 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I don’t think Taliaferro will make much noise this week against one of the best Run Defenses in the NFL in Carolina and with Bernard Pierce back. I wouldn’t drop him because you’ll never get him back. If you have to start him, I guess you’re stuck. That is, unless you have another player to drop for a Free Agent.

16. Greg.Giaquinto@gmail.com'

Greg

September 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Those players in question are: T. West, J. Forsett, R. Randle.

Players available on the wire are: John Brown, Eddie Royal, L. Taliaferro, Isaiah Crowell, M. Sanu, Stevie Johnson, and Allen Robinson.

Thanks for all your awesome advice!

17. aberercrombiebabe360@Yahoo.com'

Tammy

September 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Should I drop Terrance West for Montee Ball?

18. aberercrombiebabe360@Yahoo.com'

tammy

September 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Should I drop Terrance West or Donald Brown for Montee Ball? Someone just cut him

19. Buck_doran@yahoo.com'

Bucj

September 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Lorenzo T is still on the waiver wire. Would you drop any of these guys to grab him? Bradshaw, L miller, Ellington, Ridley, or J Hill. I think miller and Ridley are the only 2 I can realistically consider.
    Thank you. Best site in fantasy football bar none.

September 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Thanks – We appreciate it!

Bernard Pierce is still the starting RB in BAL, however the writing is on the wall that Taliaferro is the emerging back and a possible great fit in Kubiak’s Offense. He should be rostered due to potential and offers a higher ceiling than most, however dropping the options you currently have isn’t recommended.

All in all, Ridley and Jeremy Hill surely will not win you a fantasy championship. If you’ve ever seen the movie “The Wolf of Wall Street”, Dicaprio has a line that says, “Unload the Dog-Sh%$” – we recommend you attempting to move your lesser-tier backs and upgrade. Try a 2 for 1 and bring a more consistent asset to the table.

20. Buck_doran@yahoo.com'

Buck

September 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Lorenzo T is on the waiver wire. Drop Ridley or Lamar to get him? My other rbs are Bradshaw, Ellington, and J Hill. Thank you!

21. jr.guarnes@yahoo.com'

JR

September 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Should I trade Julius Thomas for Arian Foster? .5ppr

QB: Matt Ryan, Tony Romo
    WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Mike Wallace, Josh Gordon
    RB: Alfred Morris, Shane Vereen, Joique Bell, DeAngelo Williams, Knile Davis, Alfred Blue
    TE: Julius Thomas

Clay, Miller, Allen, and Donnell are available TEs

September 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

No – Thomas is too good to trade for an already hamstring injured Arian Foster. We would stick with Thomas. Donnell is probably the best TE option out of that list though. If you absolutely want to move Thomas for a RB, we like LeVeon Bell much more than Foster.

22. rongr61@gmail.com'

Mike

September 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

What is your take on Kniles Davis and Rainey over the next 4 or 5 weeks? I like both but not if they are going to see action. In a standard league, I could drop one or both for Sankey, B. Tate or B. Pierce. I have the same question for swapping Hopkins for B. Cooks or Torrey Smith. Thank you

September 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Kniles Davis is essentially nothing when JC returns. He’s a must have handcuff because he offers RB1 potential when he’s in. Same with Rainey. Like Ben Tate over Rainet, keep Davis on your bench. I’d swap Hopkins for Smith. Flacco is having a really hard time getting the ball to Smith for some reason. Keep Cooks.

23. Kleintopher@gmail.com'

Chris

September 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I have Pierce, Torrey Smith, McKinnon and Gehart and want to drop all to pick up Ivory, K. Robinson, Crowell and Blue. Okay?

September 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM

It’s ok – those other guys are doing nothing for you. Ride the hot hand! I would hang onto Torrey Smith though.

24. Greg.Giaquinto@gmail.com'

Greg

September 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Should I drop West for Crowell or Sanu?
    Would you start Tate or Vereen this week?

September 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM

I would drop West for Crowell. Wait to see if Calvin plays before making that decision!

September 28, 2014 at 3:20 AM

1 – Crowell is emerging over West, but Ben Tate will see the majority of looks when returning. But, the pecking order in CLE is Tate, Crowell then West at the moments.

2 – We would start Golden Taint.

25. brale46571@aol.com'

brenda

September 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Start Houston D or pick up Steelers, Colts of Falcons?

26. Gfamilyman77@yahoo.com'

James

September 25, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Do you think Blount has more value than Terrance West?

27. andreas.vonkanel@gmail.com'

A. Trump

September 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I’m in a 16-team league and shaky on QB with Romo and Tannehil.
    Decent at WR (Cobb, Edelman) and RB if my studs decided to actually perform (Forte, Ball, Gerhart, K. Robinson).

I do lack depth at WR, but since I’m 0-3 am considering letting go of J. Gordon, bcs otherwise it may be too late when he finally comes back.

There is one team owning Luck and Stafford, mediocre at WR. Do you think Gordon for one of them is a fair offer? Which one of the two would you try to get?

September 28, 2014 at 3:22 AM

I don’t think they would accept, but it’s worth a shot. You may want to do Gordon and Gerhart for Luck or Stafford. At the moment, Luck is clicking on offense and is a slightly more preferred play. I would be more than happy if you could land either though.

28. rongr61@yahoo.com'

Ron

September 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM

How would you rate Matt Ryan versus Big Ben this week and even over the next 3 or weeks based on matchups?

29. rongr61@yahoo.com'

Ron

September 26, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Who do you think will be better this week and over the next four based on matchups–Matt Ryan or Ben R.?

30. jtennant59@gmail.com'

JR

September 26, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Currently have St. Louis def and picked up San Diego def to get through the bye week. How confident are you in the SD def moving forward? And would you recommed dropping STL def to grab Ben Tate as a FA? (standard scoring)

Thanks!

September 28, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Like them a lot over the next three weeks. They have a JV schedule. We would pick up Ben Tate “NOW” for STL as well.

31. brale46571@aol.com'

Brenda

September 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM

PPR Need 3 G Tate, Benjamin, J. Matthews, K Allen? Thanks

September 28, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Golden Tate, K. Allen and Benjamin. Like Matthews, but he is riskier. The owner/under for that SF/PHI is around 53 total points scored.

32. eugene.dowdell@gmail.com'

Eugene

September 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Someone is offering me Jamaal Charles. Should I even want to trade for him? My RB’s are; Eddie Lacey, Montee Ball, Reggie Bush, Shane Vereen and Donald Brown?

• eugene.dowdell@gmail.com'

Eugene

September 26, 2014 at 3:55 PM

He also has Nile Davis. So I would have to give up 2 RB’s for them both.

September 28, 2014 at 3:26 AM

If you are confident that you could move Bush, Vereen and Donald Brown for an upgrade elsewhere, then yes. Ultimately, it would depend on the depth and quality at other positions, but we like the addition for you.

33. jr.guarnes@yahoo.com'

Jonathan

September 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Arian Foster owner wants to trade me Reggie Bush for Alfred Blue.. I have Joique Bell on my team as well.

The answer is obviously to go through with it… Right?

34. ursvonkaenel2@gmail.com'

U. Hearts

September 27, 2014 at 3:05 AM

Dear Tozzi Brothers

With Montee Ball in a BYE this week i tend to put Khiry Robinson on Flex (Std-League!). Toby Gerhart, Jordan Matthews and Mike Evans are on the bench. Not quite sure if Robinson is the right call this week.

Hope you can help me out with your advise.

Best wishes
    U Hearts

35. mkraleigh@yahoo.com'

Mike

September 27, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Ryan or Kaepernick?

September 28, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Matty Ice is the safer play, but Kaep offers blowup potential vs. a porous Philly Defense. We would go Ryan though.